Tuesday, December 16, 2008

MODULE 2 - TASKS

This section while interesting felt familiar. The reasons, I attribute to this feeling is the fact that I have been emailing for many moons. Most of my correspondence is done via email and I cannot imagine a world without it.

Inspite of this, most of the reading contained information that were helpful and reminded me of the phrase"back to basic's". It has also encouraged me to reconsider the use of filters.

Now to the questions listed as Tasks in module 2.


1. What information about a user's email, the origin of a message, and the path it took, can you glean from an email message?


Using the above email received in my Microsoft Outlook, the followings details are visible straight away;


· Name of the sender
· The Domain that the sender is using
· Sent date & time
· Name of the intended recipient
· Subject
· The message
· Attachments


To get further into the header, I clicked the “options” button where I located the following;





This showed me the internet header and the path it had taken to arrive in my inbox. This type of technical information is not used by everyone

2. In what cases would you find it useful to use the 'cc', 'bcc' and 'reply all functions of email?


Carbon Copy (CC) - when I want to forward the message to those that may find the information helpful or needs to be kept informed about something. This info may be totally irrelevant but informative for the person/s. I don’t expect a reply or response.

Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) – Your identity is protected as your details will not appear on the email sent and other recipients will not be aware that you also received the same info. The person will also not know whether he/she was the only person to be BCC’d. A good example of when I would use the BCC would be if I received certain information from a staff member about another staff member and I wanted the informer to receive an update but not compromise his position, I would use BCC. Another time would be, for record keeping purposes, I BCC myself.

Reply All – This function is extremely useful and I use it when mailing appointment or meeting times. This way any updates or suggestions prior to the day are available to all to see and note. The down side is that at times this function is used to distribute material that is not relevant to all on the list and the privacy of some on the list can be compromised also.

3. In what ways can you ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the receiver?

Make sure that the person receiving the attachment has relevant software available to open and read it; otherwise send the information as RTF or ASCII format as this can be read by a lot of the applications that are available on most computers today.
Zipping large attachment files is also the norm nowadays as it reduces the transfer and down loading times. Zipping compresses the file/s.
The above measures will ensure that the receiver can easily open the attachment and reduce the chances of further emails back and forth.

4. What sorts of filters or rules do you have set up, and for what purpose?

I now know that I can set up the following rules and filters in my Outlook. Prior to today, I was aware that such filters existed but had not got around to setting any up. Looking at the following filters I can now see the usefulness.....




Also found another good reading source on Rules and Filters at the following link;


http://it-help.bathspa.ac.uk/emailfaq/email_rules.html



5. How have you organised the folder structure of your email and why?

Apart from the normal folders like Inbox, Sent Items, Junk Email & Deleted Items , have also set up new folders for storing emails from my associations, solicitor, confidential, work, studies, bills and individual ones for the special people in my life. Emails are moved into this folders manually

The reason that I have done this is to enable easy location of emails that are important enough to retain.


Also did not want anyone lurking near my computer to be able to read emails that are “confidential” in nature easily, so to protect my privacy, a separate folder was created to hold these rather sensitive natured emails.




No comments:

Post a Comment