Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Thoughts Of The Day

Have started reading Mod 3 and enjoying it so far. Also had a look at the webct discussion board and must say that, the discussion on whether the net is reality or not is rather fascinating

I may not agree with everyone but respect every ones views and it makes me realise what a varied group NEt11 is. Is it real ? What do you think?

Both Amy and Claire make good points and I must admit, a lot of whats said is true. Its our perception that defines whether its reality or not.

Apart from perception, ones personality and level of emotional involvement also plays a part in what role the net playes in our lives. It is interesting to read both sides and I must admit that I have not used the net much for social networking for quite a while.

Due to my car accident & ongoing mobility issues, I am dependent on the net a lot as use it for banking,paying bills,shopping & also run a business. This makes the net a real part of my everyday life but do not see it as reality but rather as a tool or means that helps me cope with my everyday life.

Topic's such as this give me a break from regular studying an forces one to think outside the square box.

The other day, I had a quick chat with a fellow student Paul N on MSN and we discussed the chat mediums and its impact on our lives etc. He asked some questions and so did I. At the end of the chat, I concluded that Paul was a nice young man who was pretty mature for his age and extremely polite and thinking about it today, it made me realise that I have never met him but in a short space of time had analysed him and categorised him.

While checking the chat log of the conversation that Paul and I had, I also realised that "live chatting" can at times be so quick that you can also miss bits of information without even realising it. Paul told me a little bit about his family business background which I did not acknowledge in our conversation because I missed it while on "live chat".

After reading the chat log, I felt real bad. Does this happen often without one realising. How often do we go back and read what had been said during the "live chat"?

Was it because I was using 2 different chat mediums at the same time? I guess so... we had all signed off the 6pm MSN chat ready to go to ICQ for the 7pm chat when Paul came online. I asked him whether he was coming over to ICQ and his response was no, he was a MSN man thus the reason for the over-lap for approx 10 - 15 minutes.

Well I hope that Paul managed to do his group task and forgive me for appearing arrogant. Was not my intention at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashna, hope you're well. Keep me posted with what you're up to. all the best. Peter

    ReplyDelete